Library Infill Addition for Cornell Law School – Ithaca, NY
Schematic Design and program confirmation for this 7,000 square-foot three-floor infill addition to the Cornell Law School Library marries a sky-lit slot and communicating stair to the historic main reading room of the central building in this collegiate gothic ensemble designed in 1932 by Providence-based firm Jackson Robertson and Adams (best known as architects of the Providence County Courthouse).
The design provides a technology-rich information commons space on the third floor, adjacent to the main reading room, complemented by group study classrooms, a flexible instruction space, reference staff offices, and an IT help desk. Third and fourth floor open book stack areas are visible and accessible to adjacent group study areas and casual lounge seating overlooking the main library floor below.
The design of the infill addition provides a prominent place for the Library’s rare book room and collection, overlooking the main information commons space and easily accessible via the communicating stair.
Work on the Law School Library ties the new library spaces into existing circulation within the adjacent Jane Foster building addition completed in 1984 by Shepley Bullfinch, and provides elevator access to all floors. The infill addition accommodates the additional floor to the Library with little perceptible change to the exterior appearance of the historic building.
Work completed prior to Sorensen Partners | Architects + Planners as Architectural Staff at Ann Beha Architects. Renderings and drawings copyright 2012 Ann Beha Architects.